Mubaraki to all - Hazar Imam becomes a Canadian!!!

Activities of the Imam and the Noorani family.
nmlnrlpr

Mubaraki to all - Hazar Imam becomes a Canadian!!!

Post by nmlnrlpr »

Aga Khan to receive honorary Canadian citizenship
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA — Canada will grant the Aga Khan honorary citizenship for what Prime Minister Stephen Harper describes as his exemplary humanitarianism and long friendship with Canada.

Born in Geneva, Shah Kari al-Hussayni is the 49th Aga Khan, or imam to Shia Ismaili Muslims, and is widely recognized for his work against poverty and his promotion of tolerance.

Now 72, he is the founder and chairman of the Aga Khan Development Network, which works in Asia and Africa and is one of the world's largest private development networks.

Harper told the House of Commons the Aga Khan is "a beacon of humanitarianism, of pluralism and of tolerance throughout the entire world."

Honorary Canadian citizenship is bestowed by the Governor General and requires the unanimous approval of all voting MPs.

It has been given to four others: Swedish diplomat and Holocaust hero Raoul Wallenberg (posthumously in 1985); former South Africa president and Nobel laureate Nelson Mandela (2001); the Dalai Lama (2006); and pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi (2007), a Nobel laureate who has spent most of the last 20 years under house arrest in her native Myanmar.

The Aga Khan was in Edmonton on Tuesday, where he received an honorary doctor of laws degree from the University of Alberta.

Copyright © 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

DAKSHANA BASCARAMURTY

With a report from the Canadian Press, Wednesday, Jun. 10, 2009 03:27AM EDT

Improving the quality of life for people around the world is a tall order for a 20-year-old.

But more than 50 years ago when the Aga Khan was named spiritual leader of the Shia Nizari Ismaili Muslims, he was up to the task.

Yesterday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced that Shah Kari al-Hussayni - the 49th Aga Khan - will receive the rare award of honorary Canadian citizenship to recognize his efforts in working toward that goal.

He founded the Aga Khan Development Network, an organization that has brought better health care, education and urban and rural development to impoverished communities in Asia and Africa.

He joins an elite group of four others who have also been given honorary citizenship. He is also the third person given this recognition by Mr. Harper.

"[He is] a beacon of humanitarianism, of pluralism and of tolerance throughout the entire world," Mr. Harper told the House of Commons yesterday.

Mr. Harper and the Aga Khan met in Ottawa last December, when the spiritual leader inaugurated the Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat in Ottawa, a representational office for the Aga Khan's many development agencies.

In 2005, he was named an honorary companion to the Order of Canada.

He was given an honorary doctor of law degree by the University of Alberta yesterday and delivered a speech to the graduating class that was followed by a standing ovation.

"In today's community of nations, a country's standing is no longer recognized simply by what it can achieve for itself, but just as much by what it can do for others," he told the graduates.

Mohib Samnani, a volunteer with the Aga Khan Council for Edmonton, sat breathlessly in the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium during what he called "an empowering speech" not just for Ismailis, but members of all faiths.

"It is his responsibility to ensure that people around the world regardless of faith, colour, race or gender can move forward," he said.

"Because he looks at it like a mandate he has, the reach is global. As he touches other people's lives, they appreciate what he is doing."

The Aga Khan told yesterday's crowd that it was imperative that the world repair its "faltering systems of government." He said Afghanistan was plagued by a "dysfunctional constitutional framework." But he emphasized the solution was not imposing a new system on the country.

"... It is not enough to replace coercion from beyond one's borders with coercion from one's own capital city," he said. "Governments everywhere should reflect the will and the aspirations of all their peoples."

He wove the goal of living in a society that accepted all races, sexes and religions throughout his address, describing Canada as a "world power" in its pluralistic nature.

"If we are to pursue the ideal of meritocracy in human endeavour, then its most perfect form will grow out of a respect for human pluralism, so that we can harness the very best contributions from whomever and wherever they may come," he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le1175915/
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

Whilst I am glad that Canada extended the honor to Hazar Imam - no one mentioned the fact that in Mali - the president in his speech - (and i am paraphrasing) called hazar imam by his first name and told him that his children - the princes and princess are amongst their people...to me..that was a greater honor.

Shams
Saima

MPs grant Agan Khan honorary citizenship

Post by Saima »

MPs grant Agan Khan honorary citizenship
Updated Fri. Jun. 19 2009 5:50 PM ET

The Canadian Press

OTTAWA -- Parliamentarians have voted to grant the Aga Khan honorary Canadian citizenship in what the prime minister describes as a recognition of his leadership in promoting "development, pluralism and tolerance around the world."

Honorary Canadian citizenship is bestowed by the Governor General and requires the unanimous approval of all voting MPs.

Born in Geneva, Shah Karim al-Hussayni is the fifth person to be named an honorary Canadian citizen.

The Aga Khan is the 49th hereditary imam of the Shia Ismaili Muslims and is widely recognized for his work against poverty and his promotion of tolerance.

Now 72, he is the founder and chairman of the Aga Khan Development Network, which works in Asia and Africa and is one of the world's largest private development networks.

The federal government is teaming with the Aga Khan to build the Global Centre for Pluralism in Ottawa, which will promote ethnic, cultural and religious exchange and education.

"Our government appreciates the work of the Aga Khan Development Network to improve the quality of life of people in many of the world's most impoverished nations," Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in a release Friday.

"In particular, we are grateful for the immense contribution the Aga Khan Development Network is making in Afghanistan, as we work together to help the people of that country build a better future.

"I look forward to welcoming the Aga Khan back to Canada as an honorary citizen, and continuing to work closely with him to improve tolerance, pluralism and development around the world."

The Aga Khan was in Edmonton recently to receive an honorary doctor of laws degree from the University of Alberta, where he spoke at length about ethics and "the arrogance of colonialism, the rigidities of communism, the romantic dreams of nationalism (and) the naive promises of untrammelled capitalism."

Honorary Canadian citizenship has been given to four others: Swedish diplomat and Holocaust hero Raoul Wallenberg (posthumously in 1985); former South Africa president and Nobel laureate Nelson Mandela (2001); the Dalai Lama (2006); and pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi (2007), a Nobel laureate who has spent most of the last 20 years under house arrest in her native Myanmar.

Source: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... b=Politics
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Statement by The Prime Minister Of CANADA
June 19, 2009
Posted by ismailimail in Aga Khan IV, Awards, Honorary Canadian Citizenship.
trackback
Date: June 19, 2009

For immediate release

Statement by The Prime Minister OF CANADA

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the House of Commons passing a motion to grant Honorary Canadian Citizenship to His Highness the Aga Khan:

“Today, on the advice of our Government, the House of Commons voted to bestow Honorary Canadian Citizenship upon His Highness the Aga Khan.

“This is recognition of the Aga Khan’s leadership as a champion of development, pluralism and tolerance around the world and of his remarkable leadership as Imam of the worldwide Ismaili community.

“Our Government appreciates the work of the Aga Khan Development Network to improve the quality of life of people in many of the world’s most impoverished nations. In particular, we are grateful for the immense contribution the Aga Khan Development Network is making in Afghanistan, as we work together to help the people of that country build a better future.

“Closer to home, our Government is proud to partner with the Aga Khan to build the Global Centre for Pluralism in Ottawa. This centre will promote ethnic, cultural and religious exchange and education – values that we hold dear as Canadians. I look forward to welcoming the Aga Khan back to Canada as an Honorary Citizen, and continuing to work closely with him to improve tolerance, pluralism and development around the world.”

- 30 -

PMO Press Office: 613-957-5555

This document is also available at http://pm.gc.ca
http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?id=2643

http://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... of-canada/

Canada grants His Highness the Aga Khan Honorary Citizenship
June 19, 2009
Posted by ismailimail in Aga Khan IV, Awards, Honorary Canadian Citizenship.
trackback
OTTAWA (AFP) — Canada’s parliament on Friday extended honorary Canadian citizenship to the Aga Khan, imam of the world’s Shia Ismaili Muslims, said a statement.

“This is recognition of the Aga Khan’s leadership as a champion of development, pluralism and tolerance around the world and of his remarkable leadership as Imam of the worldwide Ismaili community,” said Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

“In particular, we are grateful for the immense contribution the Aga Khan Development Network is making in Afghanistan, as we work together to help the people of that country build a better future,” he said.

The Aga Khan, Prince Karim Al Husseini, 72, is the spiritual head of the world’s 15 million Ismaili Muslims.

He is the fourth such person to hold the post since the 19th century.

Ismailis make up the world’s second largest Shia grouping and are spread throughout 25 countries.

Previously, only four people have ever been extended honorary Canadian citizenship: Myanmar pro-democracy activist and Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi last year, and before that Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, and Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg, who saved the lives of thousands of Jews during the Second World War.

Most Canadian Ismaili Muslims arrived in this country after being forced out of Uganda by its former ruler Idi Amin in the 1970s. They now number roughly 70,000 in Canada.

Canada has partnered with the Aga Khan’s agencies on development projects in Asia, Africa and Afghanistan, as well as to promote ethnic, cultural and religious tolerance.

http://www.google.com/AFPhttp://www.680news.com/newshttp://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicationshttp://ca.news.yahoo.comhttp://www.nation.com.pkhttp://www.canadaeast.comhttp://www.radio-canada.cahttp://www.ctv.cahttp://news.therecord.comhttp://www.metronews.cahttp://www.dailytimes.com.pk

http://ismailimail.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... tizenship/
Admin

Post by Admin »

CANADA

Debates of the Senate

Motion to grant to His Highness the Aga Khan
The Honourary Title of ‘Citizen of Canada’

(Motion Unanimously Adopted)

Statements by:

The Honourable Mobina S.B. Jaffer, Q.C.
The Honourable Consiglio DiNino
The Honourable Marcel Prud’homme, P.C.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

(Unofficial Version)

Motion to Grant to His Highness the Aga Khan the Honourary Title of Citizen of Canada

Hon. Gerald J. Comeau (Deputy Leader of the Government), pursuant to notice of June 22, 2009, moved:

That,

Whereas His Highness the Aga Khan, leader of the worldwide Ismaili Muslim Community, is a beacon of humanitarianism, pluralism and tolerance throughout the world;

Whereas in addition to the spiritual leadership he provides to the worldwide Ismaili community, the Aga Khan is also actively involved in humanitarian and development projects throughout Asia and Africa;
Whereas Canadians are grateful for the Aga Khan's efforts in Afghanistan where today the Aga Khan Development Network is a vital partner in our efforts to secure and improve the lives of Afghan citizens;

Whereas Canada is proud to have partnered with the Aga Khan to build the Global Centre for Pluralism in Ottawa which will promote ethnic, cultural and religious tolerance in Canada and worldwide;

Whereas Canada has previously acknowledged the contributions of other leading champions of human dignity, granting them honorary Canadian citizenship;

Therefore, the Senate of Canada resolves to bestow the title "honorary Canadian citizen" on His Highness the Aga Khan.

Hon. Mobina S.B. Jaffer: Honourable senators, I rise also to speak on the motion, but I first want to thank the Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, for suggesting that we bestow the title of honorary Canadian citizenship on His Highness the Aga Khan.

It is an honour and a privilege to rise today in support of the motion to recognize His Highness the Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of the Shia Ismaili Muslims with the title of honorary Canadian citizen. I am proud, as a Canadian and an Ismaili Muslim, that we can bestow this honour on someone who is so richly deserving of it.

I know that some of you in this chamber are familiar with the contributions the Aga Khan and the Ismaili Imamat have made in Canada and internationally to advance pluralism and diversity.

It was not that long ago that we celebrated the opening of the Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat here in Ottawa, the home of the Aga Khan Development Network. The network is a group of development agencies with mandates ranging from health and education to architecture, culture, micro-finance, rural development, disaster reduction, the promotion of private sector enterprise and the revitalization of historic cities.

The Aga Khan Development Network agencies conduct their programs without regard to faith, origin or gender. As Senator Comeau's motion states, the Aga Khan Development Network is currently with Canadian Forces in Afghanistan to improve the lives of the Afghani people. The Aga Khan Development Network's efforts in Afghanistan includes large-scale rural development; health, education and civil society programs; micro-finance services and the rehabilitation of historic neighbourhoods in Kabul and Herat with a rapidly growing mobile phone network. With the support of its donors and partner, more than U.S. $700 million has been channelled to the network for Afghanistan's reconstruction.

The Global Centre for Pluralism, another initiative of His Highness the Aga Khan, is yet another example of his long-standing partnership with Canada. Dedicated to the creation of successful societies, the centre is founded on the premise that tolerance, openness and understanding towards the cultures, social structures, values and faiths of other people are essential to the very survival of an interdependent world.
The credo of the centre is, and I quote:

Pluralism is no longer simply an asset or a prerequisite for progress and development. It is vital to our existence.

To quote the Aga Khan himself:

We cannot make the world safe for democracy unless we also make the world safe for diversity.

Canada is an ideal place for such a partnership, and I am glad that these are not the only areas to which we have been able to extend that cooperation. Through the Aga Khan University, His Highness has been a champion in promoting education, research and innovation. Canadian institutions have been a benefactor of this partnership as well. Just last week, His Highness received an honorary doctorate from the University of Alberta. During the ceremony, he also signed a memorandum of understanding with the University of Alberta.

Aga Khan University and the University of Alberta will work together to advance mutually held goals for a greater global engagement and social understanding. Canadian students and, ultimately, the global community will benefit from this continued cooperation. This adds to a growing list of partnerships between Aga Khan University and the Canadian universities that already include McMaster University, the University of Waterloo and the University of Toronto.

Aga Khan University President Firoz Rasul said:

This partnership will enable the University of Alberta's expertise to impact parts of the world that would not otherwise benefit from these capabilities. Their innovative approach to research, teaching and service in health care, education and sustainable economic and environmental development in northern Canadian communities could greatly benefit the developing countries in which the Aga Khan University, the University of Central Asia and the Aga Khan Trust for Culture currently work.

As you can see, honourable senators, this is the type of friendship our country wants to keep and on which we can continue to build. As you can also undoubtedly tell, I am personally overjoyed to support this motion.
Honourable senators, I would like to share some personal reflections with you today.

I am very much aware that I enjoy this place, a place of privilege in the Senate amongst you, as a result of the time and resources the Aga Khan has personally spent on me. My Montessori education was paid for by His Highness the Aga Khan. My elementary education was paid for by His Highness the Aga Khan. My secondary education was paid for by His Highness the Aga Khan. I know for a fact that my teachers were personally interviewed and chosen by His Highness the Aga Khan and sent to Uganda from the U.K. in Scotland to educate us. The Aga Khan has always encouraged Ismaili women to play a leadership role in our institutions.

The Aga Khan has gone further; he has worked hard to ensure that women are treated equally in the Ismaili community. In fact, he has enabled them to have leadership experiences in his institutions. I am a product of receiving leadership experience in the Aga Khan's institutions. As a Ugandan refugee, I know I am in the greatest country in the world — Canada — because of the Aga Khan's hard work in obtaining asylum for Ugandan refugees in Canada.

Today, I ask you to support this motion, as I know that I have achieved all I have because of His Highness the Aga Khan's hard work for me to be able to succeed in Canada.

If this motion goes through, the Aga Khan will become the fifth person to be recognized with the title of honorary citizen. He joins Raoul Wallenberg, Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama and the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner, Aung San Suu Kyi. This is distinguished company, but there are few more deserving to join this select group than His Highness the Aga Khan.

Honourable senators, I am overjoyed to welcome His Highness, Prince Karim Aga Khan as a fellow Canadian. I hope you will join with me and the Canadian Ismaili community in welcoming him and working toward an even greater partnership to advance our mutual goals. I ask you to support this motion.

Hon. Consiglio Di Nino: Honourable senators, I am delighted to make a few comments on this issue. The Aga Khan is a man I have admired, one of the heroes I have looked up to throughout my life. I rise today to pay tribute to one of the world's outstanding humanitarians, an exceptional human being, and a pillar of strength, compassion, tolerance and understanding.

His Highness the Aga Khan became Imam of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims on July 11, 1957, at the age of 20, succeeding his grandfather, Sir Sultan Mahomed Shah Aga Khan.

Since assuming the office of the Imamat, he has been instrumental in promoting the well-being of Muslims. During the five decades since the present Aga Khan became Imam, the world has undergone significant economic and social change, and he has been a beacon of hope during this time.

The Aga Khan has emphasized the view of Islam as being a thinking and spiritual faith, one that promotes the dignity of each human being. In a recent speech at the University of Alberta, where the Aga Khan understandably received a standing ovation, he said:
In today's community of nations, a country's standing is no longer recognized simply by what it can achieve for itself but just as much what it can do for others.

This commitment to pluralism has guided him and can be instructive for us as Canadians as we seek to help others at home and abroad.
The spiritual leadership the Aga Khan has provided to the worldwide Ismaili community is complemented by the humanitarian and development work he has spearheaded. The Aga Khan Development Network is a group of institutions working to improve living conditions and opportunities in many regions of the developing world. The network is a steadfast partner with Canada as we work together to enhance the lives of the people of Afghanistan.

Canada is also partnering with the Aga Khan here at home. The Global Centre for Pluralism in Ottawa will be a driving force for the promotion of tolerance in Canada and around the world.

Honourable senators, it is fitting and a testament to
our gratitude to the Aga Khan's life-long work that we are bestowing honorary Canadian citizenship upon him. Only four individuals have previously had this honour granted to them, and they include Raoul Wallenberg, Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama and Aung San Suu Kyi. I may add that a number of senators have had the privilege of debating and being part of granting these great honours.

Honourable senators, the Aga Khan shall be included in this distinct and meritorious group of individuals, who stand as testament to building a better world and who, through their work, fostered the principles of respect, compassion, tolerance and understanding.

Honourable senators, bestowing honorary Canadian citizenship on His Highness the Aga Khan, is well-deserved recognition of five decades of exceptional service to human kind. He has improved the lives of countless thousands, which will no doubt be of benefit to all the citizens of the world. I urge all honourable senators to support this motion.
Hon. Marcel Prud'homme: Honourable senators, for brevity I will make my intervention in English.

I have no notes, so I will go by memory. I speak especially, as an elder on his way out, to new senators who have joined us, particularly to those who have just recently joined us.

Of course, with great honour, I will join in the good works done by Senator Jaffer, but we still have not solved an immense difficulty. We do not have a process.

I kept standing up. I did it in the House of Commons when, out of a moment of distraction, at five o'clock on Monday afternoon, December 9, 1985, it was decided suddenly that Raoul Wallenberg was to be made an honorary Canadian citizen. He is a fantastic human being, but no one ever told the House of Commons who he was. It was just a debate back and forth.

At one minute to six, some members feeling insulted said, "Look at Marcel Prud'homme; he is speaking too long." I knew how to watch a clock. The declaration recognizing Raoul Wallenberg as a Canadian citizen was eventually passed by the House of Commons and then moved on to the Senate.

Those elders in the Senate will remember that some senators were outraged. They adjourned the Senate and, believe it or not, the Speaker was called back in the name of a national emergency. My friend, Speaker Guy Charbonneau, was called back by Senator Roblin in the name of a national emergency, and we had not seen that since the war. There were two separate sittings that day.

Of course, some senators had gone away between the first and second sittings of the same day, so they were considered absent. I know Senator Corbin raised that question. Senator Watt was there, and other elders here will remember what happened.

I still claim, unfortunately, that Mr. Wallenberg is not really an honorary citizen of Canada because the process was not followed through.
There was a vigorous discussion at that time between Allan MacEachen and Conservative senators. Then we started the second sitting. As you know, we corrected it.

Honourable senators, I was pleased to join Senator Di Nino when the House of Commons recognized the Dalai Lama, as if Parliament consisted only of the House of Commons. We could have said no. We adjourned that night.

Senator Di Nino will remember that I was more than happy to sit down with him and say, "Let us amend this to say the House of Commons and the Senate." However, there is still no process. We do not know how to proceed if we really want to honour someone.

Honourable senators, do you know how many honorary citizens there are in the United States? There are two, one of whom is Raoul Wallenberg. The late Congressman Tom Lantos — a citizen of Hungary of Jewish origin — was saved by Raoul Wallenberg in Hungary. He made it the cause of his life, and he succeeded in having the declaration of honorary citizenship put to a committee. From there, it went to a subcommittee, back to the main committee, then on to both houses, following which it was signed by the President of the United States of America.
This is the kind of process I would like to see develop in the future. People should be able to stand up and suggest whomever they wish. Whatever the merits of each case, we must establish a good process.
I will leave it to others to prepare notes. This summer, I will likely put forward a proposal for the future so that people can to reflect on it.
I would say that the example to follow would be that of Mr. Nelson Mandela. His process was a good one. Mr. Mandela's recognition was put to the House of Commons. Senators will remember that one member objected violently because he thought Mr. Mandela was a terrorist. He was on the terrorist list in the old days. The world has changed rapidly. According to the Immigration Act, he should not have been allowed into Canada for his past activities as a terrorist. He was on the terrorist list, but now he is a Canadian citizen.

I am sorry for those who will read this, as more words may be needed for clarification. However, to the best of my memory — having been taken by surprise with this good motion — I suggest that the best process to follow would be what we did with Mr. Mandela. It started with the House of Commons. It was presented like a bill. It came to the Senate and was well appreciated. I personally called the Ambassador of South Africa to ensure he would be in the gallery.

Senator Cools, for those who like history, made a very impassioned and excellent speech. I see Senator Carstairs and Senator Fairbairn acknowledging this fact, so I am not too off the ball today.

Then we had a real royal sanction to make him an honorary Canadian citizen. To me, that is the only way to proceed. We must have a process.
I see that this motion started in the House of Commons. Why are we reacting like this? It is because the motion came suddenly in the House of Commons. The House of Commons suggested what we are suggesting today.

I thank Senator Comeau for his motion and Senator Jaffer for her good work today on behalf of a man I respect and happen to have met once; he is highly deserving of the honour.

It is as if there are two Parliaments. The Senate of Canada is happy to join with the House of Commons to make the Aga Khan an honorary Canadian citizen and then to have the royal sanction. In my view, that would be the only way to honour someone. We need a good process, one in which people can make recommendations through a committee and then both houses will pass a law.

That is for the future. Of course, today I do applaud and join with the resolution put by Senator Comeau and the good words of Senator Jaffer.
Hon. Tommy Banks: Will the honourable senator accept a question?

Senator Prud'homme: Of course.

Senator Banks: Am I right in assuming that the second honorary U.S. citizen that you did not quite get to is Sir Winston Churchill?

Senator Prud'homme: Exactly. I thank you. I did not expect this debate. People think there are many honorary citizens of the United States, but in fact there are only Winston Churchill and Raoul Wallenberg. It is an honour for both well-known people.

On the same day as Raoul Wallenberg was honoured, I thought we could honour Mother Theresa, who was suggested as an honorary Canadian citizen. We did not push further at that time because we wanted to have that kind of process.

An Hon. Senator: Question.

The Hon. the Speaker pro tempore: Is it your pleasure, honourable senators, to adopt the motion?

(Motion agreed to.)
From_Alamut

Post by From_Alamut »

Stephen Harper, the Prime Minister of Canada, announces during Question Period that the government will be seeking to grant the Aga Khan honorary Canadian Citizenship.

Watch its video on Youtube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8oQMiRwjA0
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

May 29, 2010

Muslim leader honorary Khan-adian

By KEVIN CONNOR, QMI Agency

Prime Minister Stephen Harper bestows honourary Canadian citizenship Friday on His Highness The Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims, during a foundation ceremony for a new Islamic cutural centre and museum to be built at Don Mills Rd. and Eglinton Ave. E. (Ernest Doroszuk, QMI Agency)

TORONTO - Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the Aga Khan were in Toronto Friday at the foundation ceremony for the Ismaili Centre and the Aga Khan Museum and Park.

The Ismaili Centre will be a gathering place for prayer and a space for intellectual discourse while the museum will be an education project of the Aga Khan Development Network, which will gather, preserve and display artefacts symbolizing the heritage of Muslim civilizations.

The two centres -- to be located at Don Mills Rd. and Eglinton Ave. E. --will be joined by a park and are expected to be completed by 2013.

"Canada is honoured to have been chosen as the site for these important institutions," Harper said.

"They will serve to promote pluralism, peace and tolerance through greater understanding of Islam. The museum and gorgeous gardens will be a stunning addition to Canada's growing architecture. It will be a grand destination and will be a magnet to visitors from Canada and around the world and will promote pluralism, peace and knowledge."

The Aga Khan said the new site will be a place of prayer and community.

"It will help people understand and embrace the power of human diversity. The museum will be a place for sharing stories through art and artefacts. Stories of love, loss and joy and it will have a strong education aspect," he said.

Harper granted the Aga Khan an honorary citizenship, something only four others have received, including Nelson Mandela and the current Dalai Lama.

The Aga Khan said he was honoured to accept the citizenship.

"I have always felt at home in Canada, but never more than this moment," he said.

He is the spiritual leader of the world's 15 million Ismaili Muslims, of whom 70,000 live in Canada.

kevin.connor@sunmedia.ca

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/20 ... 82666.html
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The five honorary Canadians
Raoul Wallenberg, Nelson Mandela, Dalai Lama, Aung San Suu Kyi, The Aga Khan have been honored

CBC News Posted: Mar 8, 2012 10:21 AM ET Last Updated: Mar 8, 2012 10:20 AM ET Read 13 comments13

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... dians.html