HH2

Aga Hospital Dar es Salaam pollutes beach - dailynews

Post by HH2 »

anyone has a contact at Agakhan Hospital Dar es Salaam
this pollution should be cleaned up

Anne Outwater
Daily News; Saturday,January 24, 2009 @21:15

http://dailynews.habarileo.co.tz/busine ... hp?id=9662

I wish I could report that I was part of the Dar es Salaam beach clean up last week. But I walked along the waterfront today to enjoy the results. The beaches haven’t look so clean in at least a decade.

What I appreciated above all was that they cleaned the real trash – the plastic and other human debris - without pulling up the beach morning glory and other vegetation that holds the beach together.

As if in celebration, even the water of the Indian Ocean that has been a ghastly brown as far as the eye could see for months, was a gorgeous blue – aquamarine bright reflecting the sun like diamonds. There is a big patch of beach however that was not cleaned. In front of the Aga Khan Hospital.

I don’t know if the organizers were trying to be discreet – in respect for the ongoing medical care that the Aga Khan Hospital provides for so many. Indeed, for many years the Aga Khan Hospital has been given deference, expecting that one of these days their culture of good works would naturally lead to a clean up.

It is almost unbelievable, but it is there for any body to see: their open cesspit is on the beach as it has been for at least two decades. A big pipe must lead directly from the hospital – from there, a heavy dark liquid flows in a dug channel from the pit to the ocean.

Then twice a day the tide will reach the pit, and suck the liquid out to the ocean when it ebbs. It is a disgusting way to treat human waste, and a serious health hazard. This dangerous beach cesspit has been brought to the attention of administrators of the Aga Khan Hospital before
ShamsB

Re: Aga Hospital Dar es Salaam pollutes beach - dailynews

Post by ShamsB »

HH2 wrote:anyone has a contact at Agakhan Hospital Dar es Salaam
this pollution should be cleaned up

Anne Outwater
Daily News; Saturday,January 24, 2009 @21:15

http://dailynews.habarileo.co.tz/busine ... hp?id=9662

I wish I could report that I was part of the Dar es Salaam beach clean up last week. But I walked along the waterfront today to enjoy the results. The beaches haven’t look so clean in at least a decade.

What I appreciated above all was that they cleaned the real trash – the plastic and other human debris - without pulling up the beach morning glory and other vegetation that holds the beach together.

As if in celebration, even the water of the Indian Ocean that has been a ghastly brown as far as the eye could see for months, was a gorgeous blue – aquamarine bright reflecting the sun like diamonds. There is a big patch of beach however that was not cleaned. In front of the Aga Khan Hospital.

I don’t know if the organizers were trying to be discreet – in respect for the ongoing medical care that the Aga Khan Hospital provides for so many. Indeed, for many years the Aga Khan Hospital has been given deference, expecting that one of these days their culture of good works would naturally lead to a clean up.

It is almost unbelievable, but it is there for any body to see: their open cesspit is on the beach as it has been for at least two decades. A big pipe must lead directly from the hospital – from there, a heavy dark liquid flows in a dug channel from the pit to the ocean.

Then twice a day the tide will reach the pit, and suck the liquid out to the ocean when it ebbs. It is a disgusting way to treat human waste, and a serious health hazard. This dangerous beach cesspit has been brought to the attention of administrators of the Aga Khan Hospital before

That is a sewer pipe for the City of Dar es salaam - nothing to do with AKH.
HH2

Post by HH2 »

I am sure you will agree as Ismaili muslims there is no choice but to leave the environment a better place than we found it. The right thing to do here would be to fix the problem even though the pipe belongs to the City of Dar-es-salaam!!
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

HH2 wrote:I am sure you will agree as Ismaili muslims there is no choice but to leave the environment a better place than we found it. The right thing to do here would be to fix the problem even though the pipe belongs to the City of Dar-es-salaam!!
I agree with you.
However...funding? how is the jamat of Dar es salaam going to fix the problem? As Darizens - the ismaili residents pay fees to utilize the services, thus that sewer falls under the city's auspices.
This isn't as an easy fix as you make it out to be. This problem requires reengineering the whole infrastructure of the city of Dar es Salaam.

Shams
HH2

Post by HH2 »

ok...but we should be able to communicate that it is not the hospital's fault or responsibility..in response to articles like this..especially as anyone o­n the internet can access this article..
<P></P>
AnneOutwater

Post by AnneOutwater »

The article in the Daily News was not referring to the large city sewage pipe that carries city waste out to the sea about a kilometer from the Aga Khan Hospital. It was referring to the sea side cess pit directly in front of the Aga Khan Hospital. Worse, when the tide is high all the sewage gets carried into the Indian Ocean.