women reciting namaaz

Discussion on R&R from all regions
boubou1512

women reciting namaaz

Post by boubou1512 »

are women allowed to recite eid namaz in jamathkhanna?
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

I think yes.
Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer »

<P>My GF has receited Namaz in Khanay o&shy;n EiD.<BR><BR>I have not heard of any rules or anything in Farman or Ginana, or guidance from the imam that a women could not receite namaz in J/K.&nbsp; <BR><BR>I know in Sunni Mosque and Shia (itnashir) they don't.&nbsp; Its always the men.<BR><BR>My personal opinion, don't think it matters.&nbsp; If a women can receite Ginan, farman and everything else like any man can in khanay, why not namaz? <BR><BR></P>
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Yes, I agree with you.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

5. Men and women have the same religious and moral duties and responsibilities. They both face the consequences of their deeds:

And their Lord has accepted of them and answered them: "Never will I suffer to be lost the work of any of you be they male or female: you are members of one another ..." (Qur'an 3:195)

If any do deeds of righteousness be they male or female and have faith they will enter paradise and not the least injustice will be done to them. (Qur'an 4:124)

For Muslim men and women and for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise, for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward. (Qur'an 33:35)

One Day shall you see the believing men and the believing women how their Light runs forward before them and by their right hands: (their greeting will be): "Good news for you this Day! Gardens beneath which flow rivers! To dwell therein for ever! This is indeed the highest Achievement!" (Qur'an 57:12)
mehwishameen

Post by mehwishameen »

i agree with kmaherali
Firukurji

Post by Firukurji »

Women offer namaz in Lucknow mosque
Sharat Pradhan in Lucknow
Muslim women of Lucknow have created history by offering namaz at the Asafi Imambara mosque, the 213-year old edifice which is the city's most important landmark.

Even as much controversy was being raised over the question of allowing Muslim women to offer namaz in a mosque in Kerala, a group of nearly hundred Muslim women decided to converge at the Asafi Imambara mosque on Friday, August 15. However, it was a low-key and quiet affair, without prior announcement. But the subsequent Friday, August 22, the attendance swelled to 150. The news then broke out.

Significantly, women of all ages -- right from 16 to 70 -- thronged the mosque, shedding their earlier inhibitions and willing to defy any possible opposition. One person who took the lead in the entire affair was 18-year-old Sadaf Rizvi. "The whole idea was mooted during the course of the recent agitation over the Azadari procession that was banned in the state," she says. "Women turned out in large numbers to defy the government's ban on this Shia procession, together with men belonging to the community." The demonstration, a fallout of sectarian rifts in Lucknow, led to the arrest of hundreds of men and women.

"We, therefore, thought that when we are acceptable as equal partners in the agitation and demonstrations, why couldn't we participate in the Friday namaz in a mosque?" asked Sadaf Rizvi. Fifty-year-old Hamida Rizvi, a school teacher, was also impressed by the young student's initiative and readily chose to join her, followed by Shamsi, a middleaged housewife. Educationist Hima Zaidi says, "This should have started long ago; after all women freely offer namaz along with men when they go for Haj to Mecca and Medina."

Maulana Kalbe Sadiq, the Shia cleric and vice-president of the All-India Muslim Personal Law Board who was stated to have encouraged the trend, told Rediff On The NeT, "Initially, I was surprised when I saw a group of women flocking over to the Imambara mosque last Friday; but I readily welcomed it. After all, women go to mosques in Iran; Saudi Arabia women go to mosques during the Haj."

Referring to Islamic history, he says: "Prophet Mohammad himself was quoted as mentioning an incident when during the course of a namaz, he suddenly increased the pace of his prayer at a mosque; when he was asked why he had done so, the Prophet replied that he had noticed a women placing her infant on the floor to do namaz and that he did not want the baby to take the pain for long." Maulana Kalbe Sadiq sees no better argument in support of his ready acceptance of this new practice.

"Their participation in the Friday namaz will have a far-reaching impact on the life of Muslim women," he says. "You see, the namaz on Friday is different from that on other days; that is the day for sermons as well, and so it will offer women the opportunity to know about their rights and save them from getting misguided by fundamentalist maulanas who remain dogmatic in their approach."

It will be interesting to see the reaction of the Muslim clergy in Kerala, many of whom have opposed the decision of Ahmed Kutty, the imam in Palayam in Kerala who let women offer namaz. As many as 300 imams of Kerala protested against the Palayam mosque imam's revolutionary decision.

While the lead has been taken by Shia women, Maulana Kalbe Sadeq is hopeful that "Sunni women too will soon come out to follow course." The times are changing, he says and recalls how a decade or so ago, a similar move evoked a poor response. "Only two women came out then. See the difference today. I am sure, we will draw much more crowds in the weeks to come."
Khaliya

Eid Namaz

Post by Khaliya »

This is an interesting conversation. I attend Jamat Khana in the western United States and I happen to know first hand that there are several young women and girls, including myself, who have learned the eid namaz as well as its meaning. Still, the council for the western United States has asked us not to recite it because it might cause controversy amongst are non-Ismaili Muslim neighbors.

So while a boy recites the namaz, a girl recites the translation.

I just think that it would be wonderful that a female would be able to recite it some time.
Virgo2

Post by Virgo2 »

Non-Ismaili Muslim women have led Namaz in their respective mosques against the wishes of their Mullahs and imams. I believe a few years ago it was somewhere in the northern U.S.A. (may Virgina??)

Virgo2
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

Virgo2 wrote:Non-Ismaili Muslim women have led Namaz in their respective mosques against the wishes of their Mullahs and imams. I believe a few years ago it was somewhere in the northern U.S.A. (may Virgina??)

Virgo2
Well in Lisbon - a lady recited the Tilawat infront of Hazar Imam..a first for us i believe..unless someone else knows of another incidence?

Shams
Virgo2

Post by Virgo2 »

Very many times I have been asked by University students, who while at the campus often attend prayers with other Muslim students. They ask as to why we are the only sect in Islam that allows women to lead prayers, and that other Non-Ismaili Muslims have expressed shock at this.

Well, recently, I read a book called "Women of Sufism" and I would like to share the following with you.

Lady Nafisa (ninth century) who was known as the "jewel of knowledge", and the "mother of the helpless" was the great grand daughter of Hasan, son of Lady Fatima and Ali. ....Nafisa married Ishaq, son of Imam Jafar as-Sadiq.

She was reputed to know the Qur'an and the commentaries by heart and was so versed in religious knowledge that even her great contemporary, the Imam al-Shafi used to come and listen to her discourses and enter into discussions with her.

Whenever Al-Shafi would fall ill, he would send word with a messenger to Nafisa asking for her prayers, and as soon as the messenger would return to Al-Shafi, he would find him recovered from his ailment.

When he came down with his fatal illness, he again sent a messenger to Nafisa, but this time she told the messenger to go back and tell Al-Shafi'i that "God has blessed him with the pleasure of seeing His Noble Face. "

When the messenger returned to the imam and relayed the words of Lady Nafisa, Al-Shafi knew his time had come to make his final preparations. He made his last will and testament, asking that Lady Nafisa perform the funeral prayers for him when he died When the imam died his body had to be brought to her house because she was so weak due to her constant fasting and worship that shecould not leave her house to go to him to perform the prayer. She prayed extensively for him and offered the eulogy......

On page 3 it states: In the early days of the Muslim community, there were women who made the call to prayer, and there were also women who led the ritual prayer, not only for women but also for men. In particular Umm Waraqa bint Abdallah, who was trained by Muhammad himself, acted as the prayer leader for her whole tribe.

Virgo2