USA: Didar date, events and testimonies

Dates, testimonies, articles, descriptions
hari

USA: Didar date, events and testimonies

Post by hari »

The USA Golden Jubilee committee convened in Houston, Texas on the weekend of March 7th in order to determine dates and locations...

Most sources contend that Didar in the States is to be scheduled between April 10-20 in Atlanta, Georgia, Houston, Texas and Los Angeles, California.

Other possible places that are under consideration include Chicago, Illinois and New York, New York.
hari

USA Didar Registration for Internationals

Post by hari »

USA Didar registration for Internationals is to commence shortly.

Insha'Allah it will begin on Friday March 21 or shortly thereafter.
Admin

Post by Admin »

As received

http://goldenjubileeusa.net/default.asp

http://goldenjubileeusa.net/padhramni/main.asp

The bottom of this site says:

Official site for Golden Jubilee events of His Highness Prince Aga Khan Shia Imami Ismaili Council for the United States of America.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

I am wondering whether the story below will effect the Deedar schedule.

There is a related multimedia linked at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/us/16 ... oref=login

March 16, 2008
Tornadoes Tear Through Downtown Atlanta
By SHAILA DEWAN and BRENDA GOODMAN

ATLANTA — A powerful tornado struck directly at the commercial center of downtown Atlanta on Friday night, blowing windows out of dozens of high-rise buildings, tossing trees and cars, and severely damaging many of the city’s landmarks, including the CNN Center, the Georgia Dome and the convention center.

At least 27 people were injured and taken to hospitals, said Capt. Bill May of the Atlanta Fire Rescue Department, most with cuts and bruises from flying debris.

No fatalities had been reported by Saturday morning, but crews were combing through a loft complex in the southeastern part of the city where officials said four floors had collapsed, making search and rescue operations difficult and dangerous.

Another wave of tornadoes and thunderstorms, striking Saturday afternoon, killed two people in northwest Georgia, state officials said, one in Polk County and another in Floyd County.

The severity of the Atlanta storm surprised forecasters, who broke into prime-time programming Friday around 9:40 p.m. to report that tornadoes could be heading for downtown. Thousands of people had gathered in the area for two basketball games and a dental convention.
sweetheena

Re: USA: Didar date, events and testimonies

Post by sweetheena »

hari wrote:The USA Golden Jubilee committee convened in Houston, Texas on the weekend of March 7th in order to determine dates and locations...

Most sources contend that Didar in the States is to be scheduled between April 10-20 in Atlanta, Georgia, Houston, Texas and Los Angeles, California.

Other possible places that are under consideration include Chicago, Illinois and New York, New York.
Hari, where have you heard the April 10-20 possible dates?
hari

sources...

Post by hari »

Unfortunately i cannot give specific names but the aforementioned dates and locations are those around which most of the early planning was based. It is important to remember that until the locations and dates are officially released in jamatkhanas, all of the rumours should be taken lightly.

Logically speaking, Georgia and Texas have the largest populations and it would make perfect sense to schedule "visits" in these locations. Chicago however, is located closer to Toronto than any other major American Ismaili centre and since this Golden Jubilee visit is primarily for America, it would appear rather counterintuitive to situate one there.

The American Golden Jubilee committee is working closely in concert with Aiglemont and we should leave it up to them to make the best decision for our community - "husn al-zann" as they say...

Insh'Allah, we will know soon enough.
laexm95

Post by laexm95 »

Dear Hari,
As far as I know, it is solely up to mowla bapa to decide where he wants to go...there is no meeting or anyone with that power in Houston to decide where bapa will go...it is up to him. And just because Chicago is near Toronto doesn’t mean that everyone can just cross the border to visit hazar imam whenever he comes to Canada...doesn't work that way....you can’t just expect the whole jamat of the Midwest to travel. If bapa wants to come to Chicago, then I am sure he will! =]
And as you said, we will find out tomorrow!
youoaf

Deedar Dates

Post by youoaf »

Ya Ali Madad

lot of mubaraki to all the Jamat...the official LIF announcement:

MHI will be visiting USA from 11th April to 19th April 2008

Mubaraki to all!!
hari

Post by hari »

laexm95 wrote:Dear Hari,
As far as I know, it is solely up to mowla bapa to decide where he wants to go...there is no meeting or anyone with that power in Houston to decide where bapa will go...it is up to him. And just because Chicago is near Toronto doesn’t mean that everyone can just cross the border to visit hazar imam whenever he comes to Canada...doesn't work that way....you can’t just expect the whole jamat of the Midwest to travel. If bapa wants to come to Chicago, then I am sure he will! =]
And as you said, we will find out tomorrow!
Absolutely i agree that it is up to Hazir Imam to decide which centre He would like to visit; insh'Allah He will visit Chicago...
sweetheena

Dates Confirmed [?]

Post by sweetheena »

San Antonio - 4/13
L.A. - 4/15
Chicago - 4/16
Atlanta - 4/17

I don't think this one is a rumor. People in many different jamats around USA are receiving this information. To be confirmed tomorrow. I apologize if I mixed up some of the dates of the cities
teqcherry

Are you familiar with Los Angeles area..??

Post by teqcherry »

Can you please tell me if there is a jamat khana in the LA area where there is also a train station close by. Also, do you know of any LA area jamat khanas where there are hotels / motels and train station close by. TY
ahsatan

Post by ahsatan »

Why don't we get all the information together so people who have to travel to different states can make appropriate plans. What about the EVENT locations?! When do we find those out?! Close&nbsp; by hotels and all.<BR><BR>ahsatan
laexm95

Post by laexm95 »

You can go to the site that is posted by the admin above, it has detailed information on the hotels and venues for each of the darbaar site...from accommodation to the driving directions and various hot line numbers to assist you!
Admin

Post by Admin »

Darbar Locations
San Antonio, Texas, Sunday April 13, 2008
Los Angeles, California, Tuesday April 15, 2008
Chicago, Illinois, Wednesday April 16, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, Thursday April 17, 2008

Golden Jubilee USA Website Address: www.goldenjubileeusa.org
Phone: 1 800 605 4989
laexm95

International Registration!

Post by laexm95 »

VERY IMPORTANT!
For those who don't know, registration for San Antonio and Atlanta is full. the website is not taking any more forms for those venues. Only Chicago and Los Angeles are accepting further guests from other countries.
so please plan accordingly!
hari

Some notes on Golden Jubilee rhetoric...

Post by hari »

Ya 'Ali Madad and a belated Nowruz Mubarak to everyone,

This note is partly in response to some of the messages that have been posted since the visits were announced for the American Jamat – to whom i would like to wish a sincere Mubaraki and best of fortune in preparation for this long-awaited visit.

In regards to the harsh criticisms directed to the LIF, I cannot be sure if they are appropriately founded but as a Canadian resident, i can say that when the announcement about the American Darbar was made in jamatkhanas across Canada, no restrictions were announced therewith. This gave the impression that the International Jamat would have the opportunity to select any of the four locations – and possibly even more than one! By visiting the website that was set up on the same day, we realized that there was a discrepancy between the information in the announcement and the information on the website. To this end, i would implore that our leadership exercise greater clarity in their communication and better transparency in their practices for the future. The ethical precepts upon which the Development Network and our Institute are based should therefore permeate our Jamati Institutions as well!

Notwithstanding the socio-economic status of the Texas Jamat (and surrounding area) or its sheer size (to which “shamsB” has aptly alluded) the simple fact that the Imam will be visiting Texas will draw attention to him and by extension, his murids regardless of how many other Internationals decide to attend. As it has already been said: there are supposedly over sixty thousand registrants for the San Antonio, Texas visit alone! By saying that the International Jamat will attract unwanted attention is not a legitimate reason to disallow them from attending. If indeed, the current Darbar venue cannot accommodate additional registrants, this is a perfectly legitimate reason to close registration but it is necessary that all levels of our leadership maintain a/this consistent message.

Despite the resources that we have at our disposal, they are after all finite and it is important that the international Jamat be aware of this fact and (at the very least) exercise caution in proceeding to make arrangements. In response to “hedgehog78” i can personally empathize with your case as we too desperately wanted to partake in the Atlanta, Georgia Darbar with our family but cannot do so. Some people have told me that they will simply “show up” in Atlanta or San Antonio but this is something that i do not promote. The most sensible advice that i can think of is to contact the “Darbar Hotline” in order to explain your situation and see if they are willing to grant your family an exception. In light of the restrictions, some families have opted to change their registration from Atlanta and San Antonio to join family in Los Angeles or Chicago. Insh’Allah this will have opened up some spaces for others who would like to attend the Darbar in Georgia or Texas with their families.

In regards to this idea of “Didar-chasing” or as a friend of mine poignantly calls it, “Didar-hopping” this is an amusing topic over which i will keep my words to a minimum. i would like to direct these thoughts particularly to “Bashir786” whom I felt inappropriately responded to a message posted by “deal588”. At the offset, it is important to refer to the firman made by the Imam on the occasion of His Silver Jubilee in Dodoma, Tanzania in November 1982 (the remarks will not be quoted here) where He explicates upon the concept of Didar and its importance for the Jamat. We should not presume or seek to know the intention of each person or his relationship with the Imam but our own. Indeed, the heart of the true believer is sacred – an important Hadith tells us, “My Heavens and My Earth do not contain Me, but the heart of My believing servant contains Me”.

All the best to everyone; that they may experience the Grace of the Imam and His Peace...
d3c3nt

Post by d3c3nt »

^ Shams Bhai may be it is my mindset, but still i feel it would be nice if i can do the Didar at Atlanta with my immediate family.

Sorry if i have offended u in anyway.
ibudhani

Post by ibudhani »

I see no problem in d3c3nt trying to do deedar with his immediate family. I do not think you have a right to question the intentions of any member of the jamat who wishes to join his family in this mometous occasion. As you correctly pointed out, this is an issue between the murid and the murshid. If it makes d3c3nt happy to join his family then so be it. Nobody is denying the immense spiritual importance of deedar but to question the satisfaction of having your immediate family present is absurd. Ours is not only a spiritual faith. The balance between worldy and spiritual aspects of our lives has been emphasized in numerous farmans.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Lets keep this thread clean of personal discussions.

We would like this thread to give information and testimonies on Didars.

We can not allow it to degenerate on philosophical discussion.

The moment we start categorizing Ismailis, we are on the wrong track. We can not have first class Ismailis and third class Ismailis according to their gender, race, country of residence whatever, when Imam Himself has already stated otherwise.

Is this the right thread to discuss these issues? Certainly not. So please keep this just for sharing, not for disputing. We are not allowed to judge. Those who want to go to any Didar, let them go. It is between the Murid and their Imam. There is no person, Institution or Leader that can come in between that powerful bond. So please abstain ;-)

So, irrelevant discussion will have to be deleted or moved to another thread. That will be done soon.

Admin
laexm95

Post by laexm95 »

About time it was noticed.
There was too much finger pointing and accusations going on.
Thanks a lot for removing it.
ibudhani

Post by ibudhani »

Agree with above. Let's all enjoy this occasion and forget the acrimony and divisions that still linger in the subconcious of some brothers and sisters. Time to come together and not drift further apart. As Grand ma used to say "Each finger on the hand is different, but when they come together they form a strong fist".
sana82

Chicago darbar

Post by sana82 »

YAM,
i was looking at the darbar venues and at the hotel recommendations made to the jamat and i'm very disappointed at the selections that were chosen.
Why are they telling us to stay 15 miles away from the darbar hall and not informing the jamat that there are hotels directly across the street.
I am planning on attending the chicago darbar and only after talking to a friend of mine from chicago did i learn about the much nicer, closer accomodations that they are failing to tell us about.
If anyone is attending the chicago darbar, there are about 7 nice hotels right around the darbar hall that still have rooms left and you will not need a shuttle bus or a car to transport you around.

Just a suggestion.
laexm95

Post by laexm95 »

Well maybe that is because they are giving you the names of the hotels that they have made special arrangements with for low rates for us! =].

There is no restriction on anyone to pick the hotels that they want and what is convenient to them…so by all means check into the hotel that you found!
sana82

Post by sana82 »

YAM everyone,
i was wondering if the U.S. jamat could give us, the international jamat that will be visiting for the darbar, a run down of activities leading up to darbar day and activities and events post darbar.
I'm headed to chicago and would like to attend all the festivities i'm just not sure about what is going on and where it will all be taking place.

Thank you.
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

sana82 wrote:YAM everyone,
i was wondering if the U.S. jamat could give us, the international jamat that will be visiting for the darbar, a run down of activities leading up to darbar day and activities and events post darbar.
I'm headed to chicago and would like to attend all the festivities i'm just not sure about what is going on and where it will all be taking place.

Thank you.
Festivities start Monday - at the Rosemount Convention Center
and run thru Wednesday night
Monday - Jamatkhana will be held at RCC followed by Dinner and Dandiya + other activities
Tuesday - All day activities - boxed dinner - no dandiya
Wednesday - doors will open around 10ish for the Jamat to start being seated
Jamatkhana Ceremonies after Hazar Imam's departure followed by Dinner and Dandiya Raas.

Shams
akbera

Post by akbera »

You can also visit this url to get the information about the events:<BR><BR><A href="http://www.goldenjubileeusa.org/Darbar/ ... ago.asp</A>
sana82

Post by sana82 »

Oh great!
i didn't know that was up there.
thanks very much for your help :)
laexm95

Post by laexm95 »

I go to the main jamatkhana in Chicago and things are really starting to pick up....people finding out their duties inside and outside the darbar hall(both uniform and non-uniform), long lines for the entry card pick-ups, new faces in the jamatkhana, attending the volunteer trainings, the adab sessions...it is all so exciting...I have the good fortune of getting selected for intezaari ginan recitation and we will start to practice with our fellow members from the northeastern and other district jamats on Monday and Tuesday whole days in Northlake jamatkhana and then go to the darbar venue Tuesday afternoon for our final rehearsal so we are ready to go on Wednesday!
It is my first and it is all so exciting!
Thank you bapa..so much!
Virgo2

Post by Virgo2 »

Congratulations brother, al-azhar. Yes, we are all very excited to see our Beloved Mowla. Hope each and every Ismaili has a wonderful deedar which he/she will remember for the rest of their lives.

Thank you Mowla for gracing the U.S. Jamat. Hope in the near future He will grace the rest of the global Jamat. Ameen.
Virgo2
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

American flight help

Can I get reimbursed for an overnight stay?
Visit American's Web site, aa.com, for instructions on how to request reimbursement.

How can I rebook my flight?
Passengers should either call American Airlines or speak to a gate agent for rebooking.

Can I contact other airlines to be rebooked?
Not without being charged full price. All rebooking must be done through American Airlines. You may purchase new tickets through other airlines if there are open seats but they will be at regular full price.

What information do I need to rebook my flight?
You should only need your record locater ID to be able to rebook a flight through American Airlines.

What if I cancel my trip without rebooking?
You may request a full refund or apply the value of your ticket to future travel with American Airlines. Call the airline (1-800-433-7300) for information.