Guru Nanak

Discussion on doctrinal issues
Arshad_Z

Guru Nanak

Post by Arshad_Z »

Ya Ali Madad

I have heard that Guru Nanak was a student of one of our Imams. Is this true? If anyone can elaborate on this. Thank you

Ya Ali Madad
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

There has been discussion on this issue under:

Doctrines --> Excerpts from Guru Granth Sahib

You may want to go there.
Arshad_Z

Post by Arshad_Z »

Thank you kmaherali. Your responses are always valued. I'd especially like to thank you for the wonderful article regarding astrology in the other forum

Ya Ali Madad
baqi

Post by baqi »

Ya Ali Madad

There's an interesting academic paper by a Sikh (in fact a Portugese Catholic convert to Sikhism) on the parallels between the Shi'a Imamate and the institution of the Sikh gurus. His name is (I think) Ustad-Bahadur-Singh, I think he's posted on the forums here.

I'm not quite sure if he posits Shi'a influences on Sikhism, but once I get a hold of his paper (I think he is/was at SOAS) I'll report directly back comrades.

Maula Ali Madad
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Guru Nanak looks Chinese in China-made idols: The Times of India

Chandigarh, Aug 13: After the Chinese-made kirpans (daggers) nearly wiped out local manufacturers of one of the five 'K's of Sikhism, it is the turn of Guru Nanak Dev's idols with 'Chinese characteristics' to flood shops across Punjab.

The figurines, which have been in the market for some time, are available for Rs 100-150. They are popular gift items, with the smaller ones finding a perch on car dashboards "since it reassures the driver of divine protection", as one user put it.

The larger versions are seen in restaurants, stacked along with statuettes of deities of other faiths. Not everybody, though, is pleased. In fact, the Sikh clergy have issued directions to the community to refrain from buying these idols.

The order ostensibly stems from the fact that idol worship is banned in Sikhism. Idol worship, including performing of 'aarti', was prohibited by Guru Nanak himself, while Guru Gobind Singh even declared that those indulging in such practices would be ostracised from the faith.

Moreover, the Chinese-made idols sport a Chinese look, like slanted eyes and Mongoloid features.

"Guru Nanak is made to look more like a lama," said a Sikh wryly, who chanced upon these figurines in a gift shop in Jalandhar.
star_munir

Re: Guru Nanak

Post by star_munir »

Arshad_Z wrote:Ya Ali Madad

I have heard that Guru Nanak was a student of one of our Imams. Is this true? If anyone can elaborate on this. Thank you

Ya Ali Madad
I dont think he was student of one of our Imams. I think he was during time of Pir Shams and Bahauddin Zikariya. He was living at the time of first Mughal Emperor Babar. Also Guru Nanak had performed Haj in Baitullah.