Ginans in Music

Discussion on ginan meanings, history etc..
Ustad-Bahadur-Singh

Ginans in Music

Post by Ustad-Bahadur-Singh »

Ya Ali Madad!

As my login name suggests I am a Sikh. I have a question regarding the Ginans and the use of music. I have read in some posts that these ginans used to be sung according to specific Hindustani ragas. I have met an Ismaili in Paris who sang one of them according to a raga in a capella mode but I have also listened to Ginans in music in FAIR section of this website. Could someone elaborate on the role of ragas in the Ginans? I have read in another post that the use of this ragas has been abandoned and I would like to know why.

kind regards

Ya Ali Madad
yaali101

Hi

Post by yaali101 »

Hi,

I think the purpose of ragas in ginans were to help the ginan flow easily. The main purpose is obviously the meaning.
nagib

Post by nagib »

Ginans are more than the words, they create spiritual awarness and knowledge through rythm and raagas, they can make cry, they can render you happy and they can make rain fall.

They can give you access to spiritual salvation. To deprieve the ginans of any of their component would destroy all of these at the same time, so would changing on any of the wordings.
Ustad-Bahadur-Singh

Thank you for the responses. The ragas in which our gurbani is composed fulfill the same purpose.

I have read in another post that ginans in music were now prohibited. If that's true please tell me why.

kind regards
nagib

Post by nagib »

Yes we have a common heritage in the teachings of Pir 's teaching and part of the Khojki Language with the Sikh community though the subject is not wll documented yet.

About ginan on Music, they have never been prohibited, in fact I have seen myself a written communication of Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah praising this in so far as it is conducted outside the prayer hall as musical instruments are not allowed during formal prayers times.

Hope this clarifies.

nagib.
Ustad-Bahadur-Singh

You mentioned musical instruments being prohibited in prayer halls. Is this a recent thing or has it always been like that and what is the reason for it.
Again thank you for your answers.
kinnare786

Post by kinnare786 »

Every thing depend on how you see; undestand things. Begum Imam Begum use to play sitar. All ginan have been written with soor and can be played with musical instrument. Only reason they are not allowed is modern times. Garbi of pir shams would make our heart full of joy if played with muscial instrument that does not mean it does not without them. But the point is that we dont know how to. Knowledge is lost. Their is interesteing story about music in Idrees Shah's book Dream of Caravan. I hope every one read it before commenting about my post. kinnare2001@yahoo.com