8 point star

azamour

8 point star

Post by azamour »

Hi
does any body know about the meaning and significance of 8 point star that we see in Islamic architecture. We see that in Jamat khanas as well. When i toured Houston Jamat khana, Person giving the tour said something about the eight point star being derived out of Quran Sharif and represents Heaven. I was hoping somebody can explain that a little more.

Following is a link of 8 point star used in islamic architecture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Small-isfahan.jpg

Yam
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

My hunch is that it has to do with its symmetrical shape. MHI has frequently mentioned that with symmetry, there is order and a sense of tranquility.
azamour

Post by azamour »

i think there is something more to it, i have seen same stars carved at so many places, i know Karimabad Jamat khana in Karachi had same design all over the building.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Perhaps there is more to it...but these are my further thoughts and reflection on this.

MHI made the following statement.

"One of our major conclusions centred on the serenity of form. In Islamic design the basic forms are balanced and ruled by geometry. There is a sense of stability, tranquility and equilibrium. And with serenity goes modesty. There is a lack of domination and pride. The superiority of man-made structures over natural environment is a concept alien to Islamic belief."

From the above statement MHI emphasises the notion of balance, stability and equilibrium. As I said in my previous post on this, the figure is symmetrical which represents the above notions. There are four axis of symmetry implying balance under 4 categories:

Zahir - Batin (light - dark)
Awwal - Akhar ( this life - hereafter)
Din - Duniya (material - spiritual)
knowledge - action (Haqiqah - sharia)

Heaven is the perfect balance in these categories. These are just my views.
azamour

Post by azamour »

I was at the Plano center jamatkhan last week, that recently opened in Taxas. What a beautiful jamatkhana it is, and congrats to all Ismailis for another landmark of prosperity and succes our jamat has experienced in modern times.

Every decor in jamat khana had a calming affect on my mind. and equally nice were the plano Jamat.

After jamati ceremonies a volunteer gave us tour of jamat khana. Starting from the outside he started mentioning the octagonal theme that existed throughtout the jamat khana. they were on the floor, on the ceiling, on the pillars, on the lamps, on the carpet, on the walls, on the tiles, really it was more of the tour of octagons by the end, then any thing else. When we were getting ready to leave after the tour and went to collect the shoes, guess what was my token shaped like....
it was an octagon.
That was too many octagons for a day, but again no satisfactory explaination of why they existed.